2018 January Planning & Zoning minutes



JANUARY 16, 2018

The meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Chair Steve Kossett.  The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by those in attendance.  Present for the meeting were Chair Kossett, Commission Members Pete Branca, Katie Vukelich, John Hegstrom, and Kathy Meyer, Zoning Administrator Teresa Koivula, Deputy Clerk Toni Blomdahl, City Councilor Suzanne Herstad, and guests Greg Andrews, Bob Quade, and John Goman.

Katie made a motion to approve the agenda as presented with a second by Pete.  All vote in favor except for John who arrived after the vote.  Motion carried.

Kathy made a motion to approve the December 19, 2017 meeting minutes and Ordinance #22 public hearing minutes with a second by Pete.  All vote in favor.  Motion carried.




Ordinance #22 Rural 1 Permitted Uses: Teresa stated she received a call from a person purchasing property in the Rural 1 zoned portion of the City and they were inquiring about building a duplex on their property.  Teresa stated our current ordinance does not allow duplexes in Rural 1 but our ordinance before 2012 did allow them.  Teresa read from our Comprehensive Plan noting the soil content and the difficulty with finding good locations for septic systems in that area and noted it says rural unless with a Planned Unit Development (PUD).  Katie noted we allow more intense uses like Community Centers and Supervised Living Facilities.  Steve noted it is allowed in Rural Residential 1 up to quad and Rural Residential 2 up to duplex but less density in more rural areas.  Steve stated he would like to hear Mike Couri’s thoughts as to why it was removed from the updates in 2012.  John stated he doesn’t think a duplex is unreasonable, but a quad is probably too much.  Teresa will check with Mike Couri and bring back for further discussion.

Planning Commission Chair Nomination: John nominated Steve as Chair with a second by Pete.  John made a motion to close the nominations.  There were no other nominations, so no vote was taken and Steve Kossett will continue on as the Chair.

Planning Commission Vice Chair Nomination: John nominated Pete as Vice-Chair.  John made a motion to close the nominations.  There were no other nominations, so no vote was taken and Pete Branca will continue on as the Vice-Chair.


Home Occupation for Thole: Teresa stated that Marcie couldn’t attend the meeting tonight but submitted an email and a Client Bill of Rights.  Teresa also included an email from Jim Rich, Building Inspector and Toni said she sent him a follow up email asking some more questions, but she hasn’t heard back from him.  Pete stated for our other home occupations in garages, people are just dropping off and not staying, where with this they are staying for ½ hour to an hour.  Katie stated that her clients can choose where they would like to go, and the market will dictate if she needs to add a bathroom.  John stated he would like to hear what Jim Rich has to say about this home occupation.  Pete stated he has been to many public places and they don’t have a public restroom, just a restroom for their employees.

Draft Buffer/Screening Performance Standards: Teresa presented the Commission with Performance Standards for Commercial/Industrial Uses

Planning Commission Member Opening: Steve stated we still have an opening on the Planning Commission.  Teresa stated Kathy and Pete are up for re-appointment in January, so she will check with them to see if they are still interested in serving on the Commission.

Joint Airport Zoning Board (JAZB): None

Next Meeting Date: Steve stated the next Planning and Zoning meeting is Tuesday, February 20, 2018 at 6:00 p.m.

Having nothing further to discuss, Katie made a motion to adjourn the meeting with a second by John.  All vote in favor.  Motion carried and the meeting was adjourned.