2018 March Utilities minutes

 Utility Meeting Minutes

March 19, 2018


The meeting was called to order by Chairman Cindy Endicott at 6:00 p.m.  Present for the meeting were Chairman Endicott, Commission member Jayme Heim, Councilor John Goman, Clerk/Treasurer Joan Jauss, and Joe Jurewicz from MSA.  List of public attached.

Approval of Minutes: Jayme made the motion to approve the February 13, 2018 Utility Commission Minutes with a second by Cindy. All vote in favor.  Motion passed

Business from the floor: None

Correspondence: None

City of Duluth water rate increase: John W. stated there is a public meeting of the City of Duluth Public Utilities Commission (PUC) tomorrow to decide if they are going to recommend to the Duluth City Council lowering the municipal rates.  Per the Duluth News Tribune if the rates are lowered they would not go into effect until May. John W. stated he may talk with Mr. Montgomery at the City of Duluth to find out why the effective date is May 1 as this is not what was originally discussed.

Bulk water rates: Joan informed the Utility Commission when we were talking about water rates in January, bulk water rates were not discussed.  Currently the rate is $16.54, and the last rate increase was 2016.  Jayme made the recommendation to increase the rate 5%, the same as the residential rate increase.  This would make the new rate $17.37, Cindy second the recommendation.  Joan will bring to the next City Council meeting for further action.

 3rd Ave. South sewer:  Joan stated she is still missing two construction easements.  One resident is not currently hooked up, to which then an easement would not be needed.  Councilor Quade will follow up with the other resident.  Joe shared a proposal for the increase cost of engineering on the project.  MSA is estimating an increase of $4,585 for additional inspections and construction, for a total cost of $31,250.  Joe will email Joan an amendment to the existing MSA agreement for further action at the next Council meeting.

WLSSD I&I plan: Joan shared a map of the current municipal sewer lines and a listing of what year the lines were installed.  Cindy asked that Joan put the year the sewer line was installed with the address listing for each property, then we can start mapping the ten sections we need to create for the plan.  Cindy stated Joan has shared during the I&I meeting, we are waiting for WLSSD to create their model plan and/or ordinance that can be used as a guide, they are still working on it.

WLSSD Grant: Joe shared WLSSD rejected our grant application. WLSSD stated we can make some changes and resubmit the application.  Joe stated he will be making changes and resubmit within the next week.

Next meeting date: The next Utilities meeting is April 16, 2018.


Having nothing further to discuss a motion was made by Cindy to adjourn the meeting with a second by Jayme.  All vote in favor.  Motion passed.