May 29, 2018
The Council meeting was called to order at 6:00 p.m. by Mayor Werner. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by those in attendance. Present for the meeting: Mayor John Werner; City Councilors John Goman, Greg Andrews, Suzanne Herstad and Bob Quade; Clerk/Treasurer Joan Jauss; Deputy Clerk Toni Blomdahl; and attached list of public.
PUBLIC DISCUSSION: None
Email to Senator Gazelka and Senator Bakk opposing the proposed constitutional amendment as it is diverting money from LGA, education, and elderly care.
Letter from League of Minnesota annual fees stating there will be no fee increase this year.
Email from CGMC summer conference in Mankato on July 25-27. John W. stated he is planning on going to the fall conference in Bemidji.
Email to Governor Dayton requesting him to sign the bonding bill. John W. explained that the Governor vetoed the Omnibus bill, everyone is still waiting to see if he signs the regular bonding bill. John G. stated he also sent an email to the Governor
May 14, 2018 Council minutes
May 14, 2018 Closed minutes – Attorney/Client privilege
Fund Balance Policy
Conditional Use permit: Kwik Trip
Rezone: Adam Jones
Resolution 18-05-11 Accepting resignation of current Clerk/Treasurer and appointing new Clerk/Treasurer
Resolution 18-05-12 Authorizing contract with interested officer under MS 471.88 sub. 5
Record destruction report
General fund checks – 11520 thru 14547
Fair Housing Authority – none
Suzanne asked about the resolution 18-05-12 in which it is not showing all of the cleaning tasks, it does not show the quarterly cleaning. John G. stated the contract does include the quarterly cleaning. Joan stated the purpose of the resolution is not the cleaning contract but the conflict of interest with an elected officer. John W. stated that the Kwik Trip signs were approved at the conditional use public hearing. Scott Teigen from Kwik Trip stated the construction should start around June 1. Greg made a motion to approve the consent agenda with a second by John G. All vote in favor. Motion passed.
Clerk/Treasurer Oath: Joan gave Toni Blomdahl the oath of Clerk/Treasurer.
Approval to close out old utility accounts: Joan requested Council permission to delete old utility accounts. Jon G. asked if these are accounts for people that have moved, John W. stated yes. Suzanne asked if there were any balances left on the accounts, it was noted all accounts have zero balances. Bob made a motion to delete the accounts, John G. second the motion. All vote in favor. Motion passed.
Approval to purchase new locator for Gopher State One Locates: Joan requested Council to approve the purchase of a new locator which will allow Justin S. to locate longer distances. His current locator can go approximately 50’ the new one will go around 500’. Minnesota Rural Water recommended this locator. Greg asked if the training is included, Joan stated she was unsure, she will find out. Greg made a motion to purchase the new locator with a second by Bob. All vote in favor. Motion passed.
City Hall roof: Joan shared the architect recommendation letter stating the lowest bidder was from Gardner Builders, LLC for $272,716. Suzanne asked how much higher the bid from the original estimate is, John W. stated about $50,000 over. John W. stated the funds will be coming from LGA and some from the communication tower fund. Suzanne stated this is expensive and feels the flat roof would have been fine. John G agreed but it is something that needs to be done. Bob stated he agrees with John G. the roof needs to be fixed. Greg made a motion to approve the lowest bid, with a second by John G. All vote in favor. Motion passed. John W. asked Joan to contact Bob Fern, the architect, and get the job scheduled.
Cell tower ladder: Joan shared an email from Dan Hinzmann at SEH which stated the existing ladder meets all of the safety standards. John W. stated so long as the ladder meets standards he recommends leaving as is, Council agreed.
June calendar: Joan shared a copy of the June calendar. Joan shared there is a closed meeting in reference to litigation on June 4th and a variance hearing on June 5th.
- Greg stated he did not have any updates. He wanted to congratulate Toni and Joan on their job changes
- Suzanne stated the Kwik Trip signs were approved and the rezone for Rice Lake Collision was approved this past month. There was also some work done on updating Ordinance #22 on home occupations. She and John G. have been working with Toni on finding a new Deputy Clerk, they have offered the position to Carley Hungerford, she will be starting on June 4th.
- John G. stated the fire truck that was for sale has been sold and he has been working with Suzanne on HR issues as Suzanne explained.
- John W. stated he also want to congratulate Toni and Carley. He stated it has been very busy; he has been working with the lobbyist in an effort to get the City some bonding money. Now we have to wait and see what the Governor does. Road grading is progressing, there is a lot of break up due to the clay, culverts are going in, and we will be putting chloride on the road in July after the 4th.
- Bob stated he attended the MIC meeting on May 16th, they were discussing road construction and bike trails. He went to the invasive species workshop and they are forming a new group and will be working on a memorandum of understanding. Doug Jensen who has been doing the presentations will be at the meeting in Gnesen in June. Bob stated he was at the park weeding and pruning. The pot holes on the paved roads have been fixed and all paved roads have been swept. The auditors were at City Hall last week and he met with them. Bob also issued congratulations to Toni, Joan, and Carley.
Having nothing further to discuss, Bob made a motion to adjourn the meeting. Mayor Werner adjourned the meeting.